A Visit from the Chicago Cousins
Last week Robert's mother Judy, step-sister Jennifer, and nephew and niece John and Emily braved the long drive out from the Midwest to visit us here in Boston. They stayed from Wednesday afternoon until early Monday morning, and while we all loved having the four of them out here, Marcus was particularly thrilled to have his two cousins visiting. Here are some highlights of the visit.
- Thursday morning whale watch while Marcus and I were at school, with clear skies after early-morning showers that almost disrupted the ride, and one whale spotted happily (preceded by lots of happy cousin fun the night before over dinner)
- Thursday afternoon Scooperbowl (all-you-can-eat ice cream for the Jimmy Fund), on an almost 100-degree day, when John out-ate everyone else in ice cream quantities and a very hot Marcus just resorted to drinking the melted "white ice cream" leftover in someone's cup (followed by a trip through the Christian Science Center fountain)
- Friday morning mountains of pancakes at home and then fun at the Children's Museum (followed by a quick stop at Robert's office, a lovely dim sum, and a stop at a Chinese bakery)
- Saturday morning Duck Tour on the Charles, when John and Emily each got a chance to drive the boat (followed by lunch at B.Good for great burgers)
- Saturday afternoon Gay Pride Parade on Tremont Street in a light drizzly rain, when Christina, Marcus, Jennifer, and Emmy got interviewed by the TV news and photographed for promotional materials, and when Emily and Marcus decked themselves out in some give-away swag (beads, glow bracelets, ACLU foam crowns, scarves) and consumed more of it (lollipops, candy necklaces, bags of chips, bottles of lemonade)
- Sunday afternoon at Kimball Farm, with bumper boats, mini-golf (or a nap, your choice) batting cages, pony rides, hot dogs, fried seafood, and ice cream (and mosquito bites) (preceded by brunch at Flora in Arlington and a pass through the H-Mart in Burlington)
Monday morning when we woke up, the cousins were gone, having gotten an early start to beat traffic, and Marcus, Robert, and I went off to work and school missing them terribly. Come back soon, everyone!
Go back to web essays or over to links.
was made with a Mac.
© 2011 C&R Enterprises
Created: 6/13/11. Last Modified: 6/15/11.